Fire in the Home
Seeing your home and precious possessions consumed by fire can be one of the most severe losses that a homeowner can experience. After such a devastating loss, reassurance comes from having clear guidance and support in salvaging as much as possible from fire and smoke damage. At ServiceMaster Restore by Restoration Pros, our technicians are more than talented professionals; they’re caring people ready to get you back in your home as quickly as possible, while keeping you informed every step of the way. Contact us for help with Fire and Smoke Damage Cleanup and Restoration today!
What are the common types of fire and smoke damage that can occur?
Food from the oven or stove has burned, leaving strong burnt food odors and smoke residue on contents and surfaces.
Multiple natural and synthetic items inside your home have burned causing black smoke residue on contents and surfaces and synthetic smoke odors. Here, emergency corrosion mitigation is needed to protect at-risk surfaces.
Trees, shrubs and bushes have burned and smoke has penetrated the structure from outside, so smoke residue and odor are present.
Heating appliances such as oil-fired furnaces have malfunctioned and caused smoke to be distributed throughout the property.
Fire damage goes beyond burning items
• Ash and smoke can continue to cause damage and corrosion to materials if they are left behind.
• Odors from smoke will stay in a room or a home long after the fire and continue to cause problems if they are not removed.
• In a few minutes, walls and other surfaces can be discolored.
• In a few hours, finishes on kitchen appliances turn yellow.
• Smoke causes etching in glass after just a short time, and smoke will tarnish metal quickly.
Not all fire and smoke damage is the same. Our fire restoration process is thorough and proven. It includes:
• Identifying the source to determine the type of fire that occurred
• Evaluating the areas that are wet as a result of firefighting that may need treatment
• Remediating water damage (if any)
• Evaluating sensitive materials that may be damaged as a result of smoke and soot particles
• Removing contents from the home, including: Collecting immediate items you may need for the next seven days such as clothing, prescriptions, toys, school books, business needs, etc, Packing out the remaining contents for cleaning and storage.
• Performing structural restoration, including: Removing any charred contents that may seal in smoke such as insulation and burned wood, Evaluating carpets and floor coverings that may need to be removed, Inspecting the framing of the house and subfloors for safety, Treating affected surfaces for smoke odors and sealing to keep any leftover odors from leaking back into the house.
• Cleaning, eliminating odors and deodorizing surfaces to pre-loss condition
• Returning items to the original location and helping to restore your normal life.
DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO NEXT? WE DO.
• We’re ready to restore your home following any disaster
• 24/7 trained and well-equipped experts respond to your needs
• With you as our priority, we say what we do and do what we say
With ServiceMaster Restore®, you benefit from more than 60 years of home fire restoration expertise and ongoing guidance throughout the process.
Don’t try to do it yourself!
The residue left behind after a fire is a biohazard and can cause health problems if it is not taken care of correctly and thoroughly. You do not want to attempt to clean up your home on your own after a fire or you may cause more damage. Only experts with the right training and tools can assure the job is done properly.
Did you know that smoke continues to destroy your home and its contents even after the fire is out?
Smoke that has coated or penetrated surfaces continues to affect the chemical composition of fabrics, metals, walls, ceilings and even tiles. Count on us to handle every aspect of the smoke and soot removal as well as restore areas damaged by fire.
What to do if you’re in the middle of a loss
• Corrosive by-products can cause irreversible etching in as few as 72 hours. Call for professional help
• If the temperature is above 60 degrees, air out the house to reduce smoke odor.
• Clean laminate surfaces as well as chrome, porcelain and aluminum fixtures to prevent permanent tarnishing or etching.
• Change the air filter on your furnace if it uses forced hot air.
• Tape damp cheesecloth over returns and supply registers to capture loose soot in the air.
• Discard any open food packages.
• If the electricity is off, clean out the refrigerator and leave doors propped open.
• Send clothing with heavy smoke damage to a qualified restoration dry cleaner.
What not to do
• Do not touch anything with your bare hands. Oil from your hands can permeate upholstery, walls and woodwork, causing additional damage.
• Do not wash walls. Incorrect cleaning could compound the soot residue.
• Do not attempt to clean carpets or upholstered furniture.
• Do not use electrical appliances until having them checked.
• Do not use ceiling fixtures if the ceiling is wet.
ServiceMaster Restore by Restoration Pros provides Residential Fire and Smoke Damage cleanup and Restoration Services to Thousand Oaks CA, Newbury Park CA, Ventura CA, Camarillo CA, Oxnard CA, Simi Valley CA, Moorpark CA and all of Ventura and Los Angeles Counties.